Login

New User? Sign Up!

Navigation

Currently no members online:)

You are an anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here
There are 1 unlogged users online !

Latest Web Links

Latest Downloads

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
d.olen
Post subject: The upcoming hardware  PostPosted: Jan 10, 2006 - 10:22
Journeyman
Journeyman

Anybody who knows what´s going on with the new hardware. I feel like buying a morphOS machine but the hardware is old and still expensive.
A third of the price for the pegasosII card would be more realistic.
Maybe the price will go down as the new stuff arive.
Do they even make 1 ghz g4 anymore?

And also. What differs Solaris from linux for desktop use?
And more. Why does anyone buy this pegasos hardware to run linux? Would it not be better to buy a x86-64 mobo for half the price? Is it to be part of the effort of bringing linux stuff to PPC? Im not trying to make you look foolish, I just want to know.
Just curious Question

Reply with quote Back to top
dholm
Post subject: RE: The upcoming hardware  PostPosted: Jan 10, 2006 - 10:41
Order of the Butterfly
Order of the Butterfly

As for new hardware we will have to wait and see. I assume release dates are mainly controlled by IBM since it's, at least in part, based on their reference design. The Pegasos II price is realistic considering all the factors thay play into it (volume, type of electronics, etc).

Solaris works better as a workstation OS on Sparc platforms because that's where all the commercial applications are. On PPC (or x86) it might fit as a server if you feel more comfortable with Solaris than Linux or FreeBSD, but Sun are mainly focusing on Sparc and Opterons (x86-64). I don't think Sun has any immediate plans to build workstations based on ppc or x86 yet.

Quote:
Why does anyone buy this pegasos hardware to run linux? Would it not be better to buy a x86-64 mobo for half the price?

Because x86-64 still inherits all the problems of the x86 (which is a 30+ years old design) whereas PPC is a much more modern architecture. The PPC is much better at performing calculations than an x86, where an x86(-64) is better att shuffling data. For a database server an x86(-64) system is great for applications that depend on a lot of calulations (3D for instance) the PPC is a much smarter choice in terms of processing power.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number 
lisardman
Post subject: RE: The upcoming hardware  PostPosted: Jan 10, 2006 - 10:47
Order of the Butterfly
Order of the Butterfly

I just have to run something that everybody don't have.. That is the my main reason.. When I bought my first Peg1 I also had a PC. Then I got the peg2 I just stopped to use the PC. a bit after that I sold it. I doesn't need it anymore since I was just running linux om my peg.

edit:::

dho!m: jag fixxade en "sär skrivning"

Last edited by lisardman on Jan 10, 2006 - 12:05; edited 2 times in total

d.olen
Post subject: RE: The upcoming hardware  PostPosted: Jan 10, 2006 - 11:21
Journeyman
Journeyman

Just to run something different makes perfect sence to me. To few people dares to be different.
I wonder how I would like an OSW with MOS for my AMIGA insanity dualbooting with some Linux for the apps not found on MOS. Or even better run linux/windows on my x86-64 mobo on remote desktop as a seperate screen on MOS . That would be handy.
Thank you for the facts dholm! I hope IBM/freescale can keep up with the x86 in the long run. It seems like there choosing a different aproach to compete. ie cheep embedded cpu´s and system on a chip. Maybe thats the future desktop aswell.

dholm
Post subject: RE: The upcoming hardware  PostPosted: Jan 10, 2006 - 12:02
Order of the Butterfly
Order of the Butterfly

Freescale has always been into embedded CPUs. IBM's main interest is mainframes.
The PowerPC as a desktop CPU has been the underdog at Motorola/Freescale for a long time and the only company really interested in it for desktop use was Apple.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number 
gunne
Post subject: RE: The upcoming hardware  PostPosted: Jan 10, 2006 - 13:24
Order of the Pegasos
Order of the Pegasos

Hello,

I just would like to put in one small thought here.

They who thinks that any PowerPC based motherboard will become 'cheaper' anytime then any x86 based motherboard have thinking that doesn't make sence in reality.

It will not happen during my lifetime anyway Smile It will always be 'someone' in the x86 field that will be 'cheaper'. This because there just is so many more people around there.

But I want also like to say that the Pegasos II not are expensive, instead the price picture makes sence.

As for development around MorphOS, this takes time. I would like to say that perhaps in about a 10-20 years of time space we might see if the MorphOS can be something like a commercial ground for interested people as a desktop environment. For now its only apps and applications that's needed, as I wrote also on MorphZone, in something that might look as never ending. But I also would like to say there is really much software around, especially concidering how 'small' the entiry community is. And development is ongoing.

dholm
Post subject: RE: The upcoming hardware  PostPosted: Jan 10, 2006 - 15:34
Order of the Butterfly
Order of the Butterfly

Who in their right mind is going to pay for a 10-20 year development cycle? Shocked

gunne
Post subject: RE: The upcoming hardware  PostPosted: Jan 10, 2006 - 16:07
Order of the Pegasos
Order of the Pegasos

dholm,

Well, you can ask that question to yourself.

For history reason then.

The first MorphOS-version, MorphOS v 0.4 (third release, user and developer archive) was released in Februar 2001. Reference: http://www.morphos.org/fileslinks.php3

Now we are at Januar 2006, thats 5 year later. We do have MorphOS 1.4.5, containing a lot of native software, including a completely new developed desktop in Ambient. We do also have a lot of other software around, converted or new development, like Pixel32, Blender, Reggae, MorphUP to just name a very few.

There have also been formed a community around. I would like to say not bad. But MorphOS does not still create any profit in for developing of strictly commercials applications to with paid workers from my knowledge ?

Jump to: