Login

New User? Sign Up!

Navigation

Currently no members online:)

You are an anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here
There are 1 unlogged users online !

Latest Web Links

Latest Downloads

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Tilmitt
Post subject: Various questions  PostPosted: Feb 01, 2006 - 17:10
Just looking around

Hi guys, I'm considering buying a Pegasos II. I hate Intel and x86 and own a PowerBook G4, and now hate Apple over their betrayal Smile Anyway I was wondering, does the Pegasos II support any of the G4 upgrades that various companies make for Apple Computers? Does it support 1GB DIMM's (which would mean, since it has 2 DIMM's, it would be able to take 2GB of RAM)? Does anyone have a working wireless card installed in a Pegasos?

I'd love to get a Pegasos, but I don't want to be disappointed when I find out I can't play with it (hardware wise) as much as I though.

Thanks.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
Reply with quote Back to top
gunne
Post subject: RE: Various questions  PostPosted: Feb 01, 2006 - 19:56
Order of the Pegasos
Order of the Pegasos

Hi Tilmitt,

Good choice, the Pegasos II is a very nice machine.

No, so far its no 3:rd parties CPU upgrades made available to purchase for the Pegasos.

The Pegasos supports 2 GB of ram without problem, so choosing 1x 1GB is a good choice.

Yes, wireless cards works to use in the Pegasos, its about to choose one with a supported chipset. Best choice in my opinion to communicate with a wireless network is to use a wireless adapter. Then you will have nothing to consider depending which kind of system you run on the Pegasos, as the wireless adapter just connects to the ethernetplug and is controlled using its webinterface, and will also support all kinds of encryption without hassle.

Do not fully get what you mean by not being able to play with it hardware wise.

MorphOS + Ubuntu Linux is a very nice configuration.

Thanks !

kozz
Post subject: RE: Various questions  PostPosted: Feb 01, 2006 - 20:12
Butterfly
Butterfly

Hello Tilmitt,

No, cpu-upgrades from Apple do not work with the Pegasos, they work in different ways. It might be that upgrades will come from bPlan/Genesi, they at least seems to be working on it in some way, but we will see.

I do myself use 1GB RAM on my computer, a single module. I know that some people have had problem using two modules at the same time if they have over 512 MB while it for other seems to work well. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I think that newer version of the Firmware works better but I'm not sure. New computers has by the way the latest Firmware. 1GB with a single module works for me at least, have never tried with more.

I also once tried a some D-Link PCI card with ACX111 chipset on the Pegasos and it worked well, I used the drivers from http://acx100.sourceforge.net/. I'm sure that for example madwifi also works etc. In general, all cards that has open source drivers should work. So it can be good to check out the which chipsets has that first and buy a card with such a chipset.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
dholm
Post subject: RE: Various questions  PostPosted: Feb 02, 2006 - 07:16
Order of the Butterfly
Order of the Butterfly

I have a D-Link in mine with an atheros chipset (madwifi). The latest incantations of these drivers work ok but sometimes the chipset can lock up when transferring a lot of data. It has gotten much better lately so I think they are about to solve that issue. The atheros is a really nice chipset, lots of features, works very well with kismet etc Smile

Gentoo Linux is the distribution with the best Pegasos support at the moment. With official support for things like Java 1.4/1.5, DVD decryption support, Gnash, modular Xorg and so on.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number 
Tilmitt
Post subject: RE: Various questions  PostPosted: Feb 02, 2006 - 22:49
Just looking around

Ok guys thanks alot. It's a pity about not being able to use G4 upgrades designed for Macs, but otherwise the Pegasos sounds great. I'm cetainly thinking hard about getting one.

amber-inc
Post subject: JUST DO IT!  PostPosted: Feb 03, 2006 - 23:56
Just looking around

2GB DDR on the Pegasos II works fine!

Most wireless cards work fine

No the Apple CPU Upgrades wont work!

The Pegasos II is a great computer and has many configurable options!

You must try MorphOS!

Where do you live?

Robert.
www.amber-inc.com

Tilmitt
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 04, 2006 - 13:35
Just looking around

I live in Ireland. I currently run Ubuntu 5.10 on my PowerBook and got rid of OS X entirely. Yes I would like to try MorphOS it sounds very nice!

dholm
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 04, 2006 - 14:45
Order of the Butterfly
Order of the Butterfly

Tilmitt wrote:
got rid of OS X entirely

Blasphemy Razz

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number 
Jump to: