Login

New User? Sign Up!

Navigation

Currently no members online:)

You are an anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here
There are 1 unlogged users online !

Latest Web Links

Latest Downloads

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
gunne
Post subject: Dapper and Pegasos II  PostPosted: Jun 01, 2006 - 11:10
Order of the Pegasos
Order of the Pegasos

As Ubuntu Dapper 6.06 was relesed today, I made a grub2 script that loads the ubuntu, xubuntu or kubuntu Desktop Live CD as well as can load the installed system after installation on the Pegasos II

Get the archive from here: LINK

The archive is compressed with bzip2, and contains the script to load from the firmware (or to load from Smart Firmware forth script)

Extract the archive on Your first partition on the harddrive. this partition must be EXT2 or EXT3 as grub2 not yet supports affs filesystem, neither does it support the iso file system yet, why the vmlinux + initrd.gz files must resist on this partition (as in the archive) as well.

Because for not making the size of the archive to big, I only inluded initrd.gz + vmlinux for ubuntu. If you would like to boot the xubuntu or kubuntu Desktop live CD instead, you need to copy vmlinux + initrd.gz from thoose Desktop live CD into the drawers I left empty, xubuntu + kubuntu.

If You would like to put the script and files on some other partition instead of the first partition, You need to edit the grub.cfg so it points to the right partition, else it wont work.

The same if You would like to load the installed system from another partition then /dev/hda5 as in the script.

Note, the script will only work with The PowerPC Desktop CD. Not with the server CD, or alternate CD. For thoose the script have to modified litte further.

Download the Desktop PowerPC CD ISO, burn the cd, put it in the CD-Drive and execute the grub2 script from the firmware prompt.

Launch the grub2 script from the Smart Firmware prompt using this command string: boot hd:0 grub/grubof.modules prefix=(hd,0)/grub

Enjoy !

Last edited by gunne on Aug 12, 2006 - 18:23; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
lisardman
Post subject: RE: Dapper and Pegasos II  PostPosted: Jun 01, 2006 - 12:30
Order of the Butterfly
Order of the Butterfly

you said to me that grub2 unnecessary when I first talked about it. just boot from SF you said.

gunne
Post subject: RE: Dapper and Pegasos II  PostPosted: Jun 01, 2006 - 12:51
Order of the Pegasos
Order of the Pegasos

lisardman,

Sure, grub2 boots from the firmware. I do myself boot it from the forth script. Which means I can have several different entries in the forth script as well as in the grub2 script. Grub2 is little to much of beta for now. At least support for iso filesystem should be of good, and some other smaller issues as well.

I made this grub2 script only for the aim to boot Dapper PowerPC Desktop CD 6.06 release right into the Live environment on the Pegasos II.

Motosampy
Post subject: Re: RE: Dapper and Pegasos II  PostPosted: Sep 20, 2006 - 18:54

I've been trying to install Linux on my Peg2, but I get error message saying something "could not create filesystem" or similar. If I've understood right there is most likely some partition table data (or whatever) on the disk, how do I clear it ?
I have had earlier Debian installed on the same disk, but I erased it and used the disk for some testing under MorphOS. Now I tested Ubuntu LiveCD and was quite impressed and want to install Ubuntu 6.06.

- - -
Sami

kozz
Post subject: Re: RE: Dapper and Pegasos II  PostPosted: Sep 20, 2006 - 19:21
Butterfly
Butterfly

Might be, strange like that has happened to me before. I once tried to install Debian after MorphOS had made the partitions on the disk. But after every reboot the "old" partitions was restored after I modified the partition table with parted. Clearing the beginning of the disk solved the problem for me, might do it for you to.

Try to run from the install CD or similar:
Code:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda count=1k bs=1k

Note, the clears ALL data on the disk. Make backups if you need to save anything. After that the partition table should be totally empty so you need to create a new one. And you also of course need to replace /dev/hda with the proper disk of yours.

Ii would be interesting too see the full error message you get any more details about how and when it occurs.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
Motosampy
Post subject: Re: RE: Dapper and Pegasos II  PostPosted: Sep 21, 2006 - 05:22

This did the trick, I have now a working Dapper installation. Thank you very much!
Tack så mycket !

- - -
Sami

Jump to: