Login

New User? Sign Up!

Navigation

Currently no members online:)

You are an anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here
There are 1 unlogged users online !

Latest Web Links

Latest Downloads

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
dOpus
Post subject: Ubuntu 8.10 graphics problem no 3D  PostPosted: Nov 10, 2008 - 15:58

Hi,

Recently i installed 8.10 intrepid on my Pegasos II with help of spceial made kernel from
http://genesi.hu/ubuntu/

How can i activate 3D?

Somebody woking on this?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Reply with quote Back to top
Trizt
Post subject: Re: Ubuntu 8.10 graphics problem no 3D  PostPosted: Nov 10, 2008 - 18:09
Order of the Butterfly
Order of the Butterfly

Much depends on the graphics card you are using, for older radeon cards you use the radeon driver that comes with Xorg. Just run the tool used in Ubuntu to generate the Xorg file, at least one of Xorgconfig and Xorcfg should come along, run one of those from console.

dOpus
Post subject: Re: Ubuntu 8.10 graphics problem no 3D  PostPosted: Nov 10, 2008 - 20:37

I try something but my xorg-conf file is empty

marcel@pegasos:~$ stat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
File: `/etc/X11/xorg.conf'
Size: 0 Blocks: 0 IO Block: 4096 regular empty file
Device: 812h/2066d Inode: 261421 Links: 1
Access: (0644/-rw-r--r--) Uid: ( 0/ root) Gid: ( 0/ root)
Access: 2008-11-06 16:45:55.000000000 +0200
Modify: 2008-11-06 15:44:57.000000000 +0200
Change: 2008-11-06 15:44:57.000000000 +0200

I have grafics on my desktop ,is anywere my config....or working with something else?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
dOpus
Post subject: Re: Ubuntu 8.10 graphics problem no 3D  PostPosted: Nov 10, 2008 - 21:23

I try to play with xorg config ..and i get niminal graphics...i delete the content generated in xorg.conf and everything is go back to normal.
I think is the intrepid_boot_peg file necesary to boot in ubuntu on my Peg is the cause..maybe later appears a new boot file for this.

All the other function in intrepid works

Trizt
Post subject: Re: Ubuntu 8.10 graphics problem no 3D  PostPosted: Nov 11, 2008 - 18:53
Order of the Butterfly
Order of the Butterfly

I haven't played with ubuntus, I'm one of the Gentoo users here and at the moment my Peggy is running without a graphical environment, as it's working as a server.
The person who has most ubuntu experience here is Kozz, but he seems to be busy working.

I think nowadays the Gentoo PPC cd do work on the Peggy with the default kernel (dholm, correct me if I'm wrong).

ironfist
Post subject: Re: Ubuntu 8.10 graphics problem no 3D  PostPosted: Nov 13, 2008 - 21:18
Order of the Pegasos
Order of the Pegasos

Ubuntu for PPC is no longer a supported Ubuntu distribution.

dOpus
Post subject: Re: Ubuntu 8.10 graphics problem no 3D  PostPosted: Nov 16, 2008 - 14:30

I see,i think going to Gentoo it's a best way

kozz
Post subject: Re: Ubuntu 8.10 graphics problem no 3D  PostPosted: Dec 25, 2008 - 15:27
Butterfly
Butterfly

Nowadays no explicit driver is specified in the xorg.conf file in Ubuntu systems, instead the pci id of the card is used to search the driver database located in /usr/share/xserver-xorg/pci/. That directory contains a file for each driver in X and each file simply contains a list of pci ids that are known to work with that driver. If your card isn't found it should fall back to vesa. But it is indeed possible to override that logic by explicitly specifying a driver to use in xorg.conf.

Can you provide the output of the command:
Code:

sudo lshw -class display -numeric

so I can see what graphics card you have?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
kozz
Post subject: Re: Ubuntu 8.10 graphics problem no 3D  PostPosted: Dec 25, 2008 - 15:33
Butterfly
Butterfly

Btw, I found and old xorg.conf file I have left which you can use as reference. I haven't used Ubuntu on my Pegasos since feisty (7.04) and I think that file was last used then but it should still be almost the same.

http://kozz.org/files/xorg.conf

If I remember correctly the line:
Code:

Option      "BusType"      "PCI"

is essential for it to work.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
Jump to: