www.pegasos.org :: View topic - Pegasos with G5 processor ?
http://www.ggsdata.se
Home   News   Forum   Gallery   
Search 
Login

New User? Sign Up!

Navigation

Currently no members online:)

You are an anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here
There are 1 unlogged users online !

Latest Web Links

Latest Downloads

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Post subject: Pegasos with G5 processor ?  PostPosted: Jun 03, 2005 - 10:37

Hi!

I am really fond of Peg, but I would really like to have G5 procesor on my Pegasos when I'll buy it. Will G5 for Peg be out soon?

Pegasos seams quite interesting system, I just dont understand why there are not more people interested in It.

Tine

Reply with quote Back to top
Trizt
Post subject: RE: Pegasos with G5 processor ?  PostPosted: Jun 03, 2005 - 13:27
Order of the Butterfly
Order of the Butterfly

As far as I know, there won't be any G5 card for PegasosII (nor I), you have to wait untill PegasosIII is released before you get G5 or/and DualG4.

dholm
Post subject: RE: Pegasos with G5 processor ?  PostPosted: Jun 03, 2005 - 13:59
Order of the Butterfly
Order of the Butterfly

You can (probably) not build a (conventional) motherboard that can use either a G3/G4 or a G5 since they differ quite a bit, not just hardware-wise but also a slightly modified instruction set architecture (ISA), i.e. no BAT registers.
Believe me, the G5 is not as good as it may seem at first glance anyway.
1. It has much longer pipelines compared to the G3/G4 (which has a 7 stage pipeline) which means that a lot of the "extra" MHz you get with a G5 are just spent keeping the pipeline filled. What this means is that a 2GHz G5 is not twice as fast as a 1GHz G4.
2. Due to the longer pipeline, and increase in clock speed, it does produce a lot more heat. This in turn means that for the price of "looking cool" in comparison to Intel clock-rates what you really is getting is a CPU that isn't that much faster than a G4 but does require a lot more cooling. Don't for one second think that a 3.5GHz P4 is a fast CPU just because it runs at 3.5GHz, the clock-rate is more of a marketing hype these days than it is a measure of speed.
But, not everything is bad with the G5. It supports a higher bus speed than the G4. This is very important today since most desktop applications spend a lot of time on the system bus (fetching data from RAM, harddrives etc).

My hopes are that we will see a Pegasos in the not too distant future based on the dual core G4. It contains two CPUs packed into one die, has a bus speed of 667MHz (333MHz per core), dual DDR2 controllers built in as well as a PCI-X bus. That is going to be one monster of a CPU.

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/overview.jsp?nodeId=018rH3bTdG7249

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number 
Post subject: RE: Pegasos with G5 processor ?  PostPosted: Jun 03, 2005 - 16:33

Thank you for your fast replays.

I like reading about this Pegasos and anything related to it.

I am allredy looking forward to see new dual core G4 and Pegasos 3.

Tine

ironfist
Post subject: RE: Pegasos with G5 processor ?  PostPosted: Jun 04, 2005 - 08:30
Order of the Pegasos
Order of the Pegasos

The new PowerMac G5s are Liquid Cooled - air ain't sufficiant..

Trizt
Post subject: RE: Pegasos with G5 processor ?  PostPosted: Jun 04, 2005 - 08:41
Order of the Butterfly
Order of the Butterfly

Quite cool when the cooling system breaks and the liquid leaks out... that was that computer...

FredrikA
Post subject: Re: RE: Pegasos with G5 processor ?  PostPosted: Jun 06, 2005 - 10:29
Journeyman
Journeyman

Trizt wrote:
Quite cool when the cooling system breaks and the liquid leaks out... that was that computer...

Yeah as opposed to when a fan breaks *cough* *cough*
I wonder where I heard that alot of users using machines of a particular brand suddenly got their CPU cards burned up due to failed fans.

FredrikA
Post subject: Re: RE: Pegasos with G5 processor ?  PostPosted: Jun 06, 2005 - 10:31
Journeyman
Journeyman

Quote:
1. It has much longer pipelines compared to the G3/G4 (which has a 7 stage pipeline) which means that a lot of the "extra" MHz you get with a G5 are just spent keeping the pipeline filled. What this means is that a 2GHz G5 is not twice as fast as a 1GHz G4.

Well that's not entierly true; the 2Ghz G5 is certainly about twice as fast as the 1Ghz G4, however it's not alot faster; which seems to be the popular belif, Instead it's about the same as the G4 just clocked at a higher speed.

Trizt
Post subject: Re: RE: Pegasos with G5 processor ?  PostPosted: Jun 06, 2005 - 10:48
Order of the Butterfly
Order of the Butterfly

FredrikA wrote:
Trizt wrote:

I wonder where I heard that alot of users using machines of a particular brand suddenly got their CPU cards burned up due to failed fans.

Of course a fan won't last forever, but rather buy a new CPU than a whole computer when the water leaks out. The optimal would be if everything could be used with passive cooling.

FredrikA
Post subject: Re: RE: Pegasos with G5 processor ?  PostPosted: Jun 06, 2005 - 12:12
Journeyman
Journeyman

Trizt wrote:
FredrikA wrote:
Trizt wrote:

Of course a fan won't last forever, but rather buy a new CPU than a whole computer when the water leaks out. The optimal would be if everything could be used with passive cooling.

Well as far as I know it never happened, but I guess you're just afraid to use a car... what if your radiator break and your engine seize ? holy hell that would be expensive.

Then for your information; it's NOT water in the system, it's LIQUID cooled; I believe it's actually some sort of alcohol if I don't remember incorrectly.

Jump to: