www.pegasos.org :: View topic - Winxp vs Morphos response!
http://www.ggsdata.se
Home   News   Forum   Gallery   
Search 
Login

New User? Sign Up!

Navigation

Currently no members online:)

You are an anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here
There are 1 unlogged users online !

Latest Web Links

Latest Downloads

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
lisardman
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Winxp vs Morphos response!  PostPosted: Aug 09, 2006 - 21:58
Order of the Butterfly
Order of the Butterfly

what has this to to with XGL? Gunne do you know what XGL is?

Reply with quote Back to top
dholm
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Winxp vs Morphos response!  PostPosted: Aug 10, 2006 - 07:29
Order of the Butterfly
Order of the Butterfly

gunne wrote:
I see it as *nix have it roots in networking & communication. Thats also why You comes to the server/client perspective. Today the Linux desktop with Gnome or KDE have become so good, structured and well organized and have organized software packagesystem and everything, that it is a very good desktop-system to use on a daily base. The software base is also very good.

However, when using it You will not get the taste of the very fast responsiveness as You do in MorphOS. Thats why people talk about MorphOS as the lightning OS and do like it because of what it is. It comes down to a matter of taste, and that different systems are different and do feel different to use. Also the structure of the MorphOS-system make people like it in the way it is structured.

That is because GNOME and KDE weren't designed to be like this. They were designed to be user friendly systems or at least GNOME was, I'm not sure what KDE was designed to be. To make this comparison fair you can't compare GNOME with MorphOS. You should be comparing for instance fluxbox with MorphOS and run a system with maybe realtime-preempt and set processes which should offer maximum responsiveness in the realtime scheduler. I think you'll find your system to be just as responsive and offer the same (if not more) features than MorphOS currently does. MorphOS and GNOME/KDE simply do not have the same goals and cannot be used in a comparison where the conclusion is that Linux is less responsive than MorphOS, period.

gunne wrote:
Yep, I know this, gl output makes difference for the window content, still the background will not be redrawn likely quick as it will on the MorphOS desktop. Also the sound will stop playing if you move the window around quickly, while MorphOS will continue to play the sound (and the video) at full speed independent of how fast You do move the mplayer window around. This was also why I come to think about XGL and did mention that.

I did not experience slow redraws of desktop or any audio stuttering. My guess is that you are simply using a driver for your GPU which doesn't make full use of it.

gunne wrote:
Anyway, this was only an example I made for trying illustrate this with the feeling/taste of responsiveness in the MorphOS-system. The stripped lightning operating system if You prefer it that way ! Smile

Like I said above. If you want this comparison to bear any weight at all you should compare it with a similarly stripped Linux system. Otherwise you are simply comparing apples with oranges.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number 
gunne
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Winxp vs Morphos respons  PostPosted: Aug 11, 2006 - 19:27
Order of the Pegasos
Order of the Pegasos

lisardman,

GL: - A program designed to aid in rendering computer graphics to a monitor.

Referens: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_library

OpenGL: - OpenGL (Open Graphics Library) is a standard specification defining a cross-language cross-platform API for writing applications that produce 3D computer graphics (and 2D computer graphics as well)

Referens: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenGL

XGL: - an X server architecture, started by David Reveman, layered on top of OpenGL via glitz. It takes advantage of modern graphics cards via their OpenGL drivers, supporting hardware acceleration of all X, OpenGL and XVideo applications and graphical effects by a compositing window manager such as Compiz.

Referens: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XGL

If You dont get, please forget about it Smile

gunne
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Winxp vs Morphos respons  PostPosted: Aug 11, 2006 - 19:47
Order of the Pegasos
Order of the Pegasos

dholm,

Finally !

It could be interesting to do experiment with Linux, and 'strip' it down like You suggest.

But for being little kind of rude then, it wont become MorphOS Smile

What I really would like is MorphOS to become developed to further levels. and not that I saying Linux shouldn't. Personally I like them both, and as I tried to bring forward, taste is little different, and thats what nice.

In reply to this also...
dholm wrote:

I did not experience slow redraws of desktop or any audio stuttering. My guess is that you are simply using a driver for your GPU which doesn't make full use of it.

No, is using a good driver for the GPU.

Sound does lagging, You will probably also notice it more if You use the gl output instead of xv. If you do not notice, please load a movie in bigger resolution. Then load the same movie in MorphOS and compare. Thats all what this was about.

The Pegasos II also cant keep up with playing of the latest high definition movies in 1280x720, but 1024x576 works very fine.

dholm wrote:

Like I said above. If you want this comparison to bear any weight at all you should compare it with a similarly stripped Linux system. Otherwise you are simply comparing apples with oranges.

Sure. It could be interesting to do. Maybe something for next PUSH ? Smile

ironfist
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Winxp vs Morphos res  PostPosted: Aug 11, 2006 - 20:32
Order of the Pegasos
Order of the Pegasos

Gunne:
"No, is using a good driver for the GPU.
Sound does lagging, You will probably also notice it more if You use the gl output instead of xv."

There is a big difference between using non-Altivec compiled Mplayer and
drivers like you do in Ubuntu with our Altivec-everywhere in Gentoo. The G4
has Altivec - it's stupid not to use it. Oh, sorry, MorphOS doesn't have it
either.. Oh, wait.. You have that 1.5 kernel with Altivec..

gunne
Post subject: Winxp vs Morphos  PostPosted: Aug 11, 2006 - 20:38
Order of the Pegasos
Order of the Pegasos

ironfist,

I used mplayer without AltiVec in MorphOS.

Jump to: