Login

New User? Sign Up!

Navigation

Currently no members online:)

You are an anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here
There are 1 unlogged users online !

Latest Web Links

Latest Downloads

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Motosampy
22 Post subject: Kubuntu on Peg2  PostPosted: Oct 20, 2006 - 05:21

Anyone successfully installed Kubuntu 6.06.1 on Peg ? I have Gunne's grub boot menu system installed and had no problems with Ubuntu 6.06 but Kubuntu complains right after mounting cdrom that file cannot be reda from cdrom...

I've downloaded and burned the image 3 times with different computers running dirreferent OS on different medias... Always the same result.

I want to do a clean Kubuntu install not Ubuntu + installing KDE components (I've tried that, and yes it works but it's a mess)

Reply with quote Back to top
gunne
Post subject: Re: Kubuntu on Peg2  PostPosted: Oct 20, 2006 - 06:24
Order of the Pegasos
Order of the Pegasos

You need to replace the vmlinux + initrd.img with the ones from the Kubuntu CD instead of them thats in the archive which are aimed for Ubuntu.

Edit;

I think I maybe expressed myself little bit wrong or not completely clear above.

In the grub2-archive for downloading I did include vmlinux + initrd.img from the Ubuntu Dapper 6.06 Desktop PowerPC CD. If you look whats included in the archive You will see that you'll find these two files in the drawer ubuntu. The drawers kubuntu respectively xubuntu are left empty for not making the size of the archive too big.

For using the Kubuntu 6.06 Desktop PowerPC CD You need to copy vmlinux + initrd.img from the drawer named Casper on the Kubuntu CD into the kubuntu drawer. After You done this You can choose Kubuntu from the grub2 menu which then should load the Kubuntu CD (if the cd is in the drive).

Motosampy
Post subject: Re: Kubuntu on Peg2  PostPosted: Oct 22, 2006 - 06:30

I'm pretty sure I did copy the correct files rom Kubuntu CD, will redo it and see if it helps

Edit:
the files on the Kubuntu CD were at least different in size to those on my hd...

Edit2:
Thanks Gunne, that solved the problem, have now a working Kubuntu installation !

gunne
Post subject: Re: Kubuntu on Peg2  PostPosted: Oct 22, 2006 - 09:12
Order of the Pegasos
Order of the Pegasos

Motosampy,

Great !

After checking the cd I noticed the file-name were different from what I wrote. the file-name is vmlinux + initrd.gz

I dont know what differ between the files on the Ubuntu resp Kubuntu and Xubuntu CD's, only that they differ.

Motosampy
Post subject: Re: Kubuntu on Peg2  PostPosted: Oct 22, 2006 - 13:45

> After checking the cd I noticed the file-name were different from what I
> wrote. the file-name is vmlinux + initrd.gz

Doesn't matter cause I really did not read your post that good, I knew the files you ment. Smile

Jump to: