www.pegasos.org :: View topic - little Endian PPC ?
http://www.ggsdata.se
Home   News   Forum   Gallery   
Search 
Login

New User? Sign Up!

Navigation

Currently no members online:)

You are an anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here
There are 1 unlogged users online !

Latest Web Links

Latest Downloads

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
judas
5 Post subject: little Endian PPC ?  PostPosted: Dec 23, 2006 - 11:25

Hi,

maybe it's just a rumour, but I somewhere read that the PPC is able to do little Endian aswell.

Is it possible to have an application under linux use little endian in a big endian OS ?

.. the reason: I'm porting a programm which isn't endian-aware and it's very hard to find all the littel sins ...

Reply with quote Back to top
Henriok
Post subject: Re: little Endian PPC ?  PostPosted: Dec 23, 2006 - 19:59
Just looking around

All Freescale's PowerPCs and IBM's PowerPC 400 family have robust little/big endian support. IBM's high end processors, like the RS64 series and POWER processors have limited support. The only PowerPCs that can't do little endian that are currently in production are the PowerPC 970 and the Cell. All others can be either big or little endian set at boot time, or have special byte swap instructions so one could use both with little overhead at execution time. I think you'll have to consult the documentation on the target CPU to learn what the deal is for that specific PowerPC processor.

Trizt
Post subject: Re: little Endian PPC ?  PostPosted: Dec 23, 2006 - 23:26
Order of the Butterfly
Order of the Butterfly

If I don't recall it wrongly, there is a option in the SmartFirmware to set the default endian.

Last edited by Trizt on Dec 24, 2006 - 09:24; edited 1 time in total

ironfist
Post subject: Re: little Endian PPC ?  PostPosted: Dec 24, 2006 - 06:46
Order of the Pegasos
Order of the Pegasos

Engrish, Engrish, Engrish..

dholm
Post subject: Re: little Endian PPC ?  PostPosted: Dec 24, 2006 - 08:52
Order of the Butterfly
Order of the Butterfly

It's easier to just fix the software rather than to run the CPU in little endian mode since then the entire OS has to be in this mode as well.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number 
judas
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 24, 2006 - 09:50

I hoped to switch the endianess per proccess under linux ... which seems impossible.

The problem of the code is, that I don't understand everything of it ... and as it is disk-encryption, writing can become a real dangerous testing job

Surprised

MajorTom
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 27, 2006 - 12:08
Just looking around

You certainly have to use a test partition.

Frek
Post subject: Re: little Endian PPC ?  PostPosted: Dec 31, 2006 - 12:40

Henriok wrote:
All Freescale's PowerPCs and IBM's PowerPC 400 family have robust little/big endian support. IBM's high end processors, like the RS64 series and POWER processors have limited support. The only PowerPCs that can't do little endian that are currently in production are the PowerPC 970 and the Cell. All others can be either big or little endian set at boot time, or have special byte swap instructions so one could use both with little overhead at execution time. I think you'll have to consult the documentation on the target CPU to learn what the deal is for that specific PowerPC processor.

As far as I know the PowerPC doesn't really have any robust little endian support at all. It has a little endian compatibility mode which is infact not true little endian but a mapping trick that's called munging- Which will make it appear to the processor that the environment is little endian as long as you're accessing aligned data, unaligned data however screwes up this trick pretty badly.
Other downsides with this mode- several instructions stop working when the MSR[LE] flag is set- and the only system ever to use the "little endian mode" as far as I know is the Windows NT/PPC release.
And the only Application I know that took adventage of the LE support was VirtualPC.
Apple and IBM later discussed the usefulness of this mode and with the PowerPC 970 support for little endian was dropped, the G5 don't support MSR[LE] at all.

dholm
Post subject: Re: little Endian PPC ?  PostPosted: Dec 31, 2006 - 13:55
Order of the Butterfly
Order of the Butterfly

All the (recent) PPC manuals from Freescale state that the little endian mode is deprecated and that you shouldn't build software depending on it. Besides, the ppc has some great instructions for doing endian conversion anyway.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number 
ironfist
Post subject: Re: little Endian PPC ?  PostPosted: Dec 31, 2006 - 17:56
Order of the Pegasos
Order of the Pegasos

dholm:
What are the main differences between big and little endian?
Why chose one over the other?

Trizt
Post subject: Re: little Endian PPC ?  PostPosted: Jan 01, 2007 - 00:35
Order of the Butterfly
Order of the Butterfly

I's about how to store bytes, big endians advantage is that you can easilly see if it's possitive or negative, as it begins to store the highest byte in the first address. Little endian stores the smallest byte in the first address.

For a better description you can read this.

Jump to: