Login

New User? Sign Up!

Navigation

Currently no members online:)

You are an anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here
There are 1 unlogged users online !

Latest Web Links

Latest Downloads

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
judas
4 Post subject: Some things are broken on later kernels  PostPosted: Jan 01, 2007 - 15:07

Hi,

after a week of hard testing my PEG2-world, I found out one big problem:

All the following kernels failed with lockup of the machine during gigabit-testing:

2.6.17 (Ubuntu 6.10, Suse10.2)
2.6.18 ( from kernel.org)

Working kernel are:
2.6.8 and 2.6.7 ( crux 2.0) and 2.6.14 (niktarix)

Note:
FAIL means, the machine locks ( with crash-message on F10) after 1-2minutes.

PASS means, the machine transfered 40Gig of data without problems.

Question:

- Are the working kernels of niktarix 0.04 or crux 2.0 patched in a special way, so that these patches are not included in the vanilla kernels ?
I know, there's a patch for pegasos on crux, but I don't know if these patches are included in later kernels ..

Reply with quote Back to top
ironfist
Post subject: Re: Some things are broken on later kernels  PostPosted: Jan 01, 2007 - 15:21
Order of the Pegasos
Order of the Pegasos

Well, I use the Gbit Ethernet-port on both my Pegs. However,
I only have a 3COM 10/100 switch so I max out at 10 MB/s,
but I have no problems at all.

I haven't tried any Gbit-switches or crossover cabling between
the machines so I guess I can't say for sure that it handles
higher speeds. I know others use Gbit-switches and they
haven't complained..

I use Gentoo on both of them.

Trizt
Post subject: Re: Some things are broken on later kernels  PostPosted: Jan 01, 2007 - 17:04
Order of the Butterfly
Order of the Butterfly

As I don't use niktarix nor crux and I'm not intending to download those to answer your question, but as you do have those, you should have the source packages for the kernel too (package from which you do build the binary kernel package), take a look in it to see what patches they have used.

judas
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 01, 2007 - 18:48

There are two problems:

As niktarix is a live CD, there's just a link to a non existing kernel.source directory. Although there are some patches (crypto, squashfs), I cannot be 100% sure, that the rest is the vanilla kernel .. ?

At crux, there's one big patch for all parts of the kernel, which is about 200kb. It does lots of patching to the gigabit-driver, but also to the rest of the kernel. It's hard to tell, what these patches do in detail ...

So I'll start another series of tests with ascending kernels to find the version, where gigabit broke....

Trizt
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 02, 2007 - 08:18
Order of the Butterfly
Order of the Butterfly

The gigabit driver was changed in 2.6.16 if I remember it right, but should be backported to 2.6.10.

Last edited by Trizt on Jan 02, 2007 - 16:26; edited 1 time in total

dholm
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 02, 2007 - 10:52
Order of the Butterfly
Order of the Butterfly

Most of the gigabit patches were merged with vanilla at 2.6.16. The rest of the fixes went in after that. All the Marvell and Pegasos related patches are now available in the vanilla tree so you won't find any magic Marvell patches that will fix any "hidden" issues. Also, the Marvell code that got merged is not the same as the one in the original patches. The original patch was designed for the ppc (and Pegasos) only whereas the merged one was developed by MontaVista and supports both ppc and mips platforms. So the Marvell code for <2.6.16 (i.e. patches) is totally different from the one in >=2.6.16.
I've been using the 2.6.17 driver for quite some time without any issues. This with a gentoo-patched kernel which really doesn't touch anything marvell-related anyway so basically in this sense it is the same as vanilla.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number 
judas
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 05, 2007 - 20:14

Hi,

after some time consuming testing, I found out:

The 2.6.16.21, which comes with Suse10.1 works well, although its a real pain to get udev working with alternating MACaddresses detected of the gigabit port. ( seems to be a prob of the 2 ports of the gigabit.)

Later kernels as 2.6.17+ seem to crash on heavy activity. This even happens with an gigabit.card in the pci-slot, so this doesnt seem to be a marvell prob.

I was able to demonstrate the crashes to some "non-believers" on their peg, but at the end I found no fix for it ....

BTW: As the format of the kernel's configfile changed too, it's a real pain to test... but I do everything to keep Peggy healthy Very Happy

Trizt
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 13, 2007 - 14:31
Order of the Butterfly
Order of the Butterfly

judas wrote:
As the format of the kernel's configfile changed too, it's a real pain to test... but I do everything to keep Peggy healthy

I can't see any difference in the format of the config files, compared an old one I had (pegasos-source 2.6.10) with my current one (gentoo-sources 2.6.19), both has the same old familiar syntax as the old 2.2 and 2.4 config files I used to have on my RedHat boxes. Of course you shouldn't use an old kernel config for a new source without running make oldconfig and after that at least I do usually run make menuconfig to see if I missed something or want to change something of my old settings.

Of course never use a config file that belongs to a kernel version with another minor number, as you will most likely just get a none working kernel.

judas
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 15, 2007 - 20:45

Hi,

I did "make oldconfig" for some tests. But it failed on some kernels.
I googled and found this:

"The kernel ARCH changed between 2.6.15 and 2.6.16 (from ppc to powerpc), so the config from 2.6.15 won't work."

Maybe there is a way to get around this, but I didn't find out how ...

kozz
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 16, 2007 - 22:50
Butterfly
Butterfly

Exactly how did it fail? If some options are changed or not know from one release to another you will be asked about how to set those options. I usually also go through all options with menuconfig afterwards just to be sure that everything is as it should be.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
ironfist
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 17, 2007 - 18:54
Order of the Pegasos
Order of the Pegasos

PPC and PPC64 was merged into PowerPC as of kernel
2.6.16 and that b0rked up many kernels.

Trizt
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 18, 2007 - 06:06
Order of the Butterfly
Order of the Butterfly

The advantage si that only one kernel is built, as for earlier versions you had at least three kernels built for different types of machines.

Jump to: