Login

New User? Sign Up!

Navigation

Currently no members online:)

You are an anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here
There are 1 unlogged users online !

Latest Web Links

Latest Downloads

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JuhaK
Post subject: 3D Support on Pegasos/Linux and Pegasos/MorpOS  PostPosted: Jan 09, 2005 - 20:05

Hello everybody,
I have been thinking for a while about changing from my current x86/Linux platform to PPC/Linux platform, and Pegasos looks very interesting solution because I could take my HD, DVD, ATX Case, Keyboard etc to ppc platform, BUT how about my GeForceFX 5900 class graphic card? Confused
Does it work on Pegasos-2? Does Nvida have drivers for PPC/Linux? And if it dosnt work on Pegasos, which graphic cards do work and have 3D support?

Reply with quote Back to top
dholm
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 09, 2005 - 20:29
Order of the Butterfly
Order of the Butterfly

You won't get good 3D support on Linux/PPC because there are no commercial drivers. There is a good driver for Radeon cards (up to 9200) but it isn't even close to FireGL or nVidia.
Forget about using an nVidia card because you will not even get accelerated 2D. With a Radeon you get at least fully working 2D acceleration and usable 3D acceleration.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number 
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 09, 2005 - 20:45

Thans for quick reply Smile
Now I have difficult decision to do, can I live without fast craphic card Smile

*starts to hit his head to wall*

ironfist
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 09, 2005 - 21:10
Order of the Pegasos
Order of the Pegasos

nVIDIA are the bad guys.
ATi are the good guys.

Smile

gunne
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 09, 2005 - 21:29
Order of the Pegasos
Order of the Pegasos

Hey Guest

May I turn your question 'around in another way' ?

Is this with fastest possible 3D graphics acceleration the only important part you consider ?

Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 09, 2005 - 22:29

gunne wrote:
Hey Guest

May I turn your question 'around in another way' ?

Is this with fastest possible 3D graphics acceleration the only important part you consider ?

No, no. Like I said, I only need to buy Pegasos mortherboard, RAM, HD, DVD etc I am going to get from my current system. Current processor is 800Mhz Duron, so getting 1 Ghz PPC processor speeds-up my system nicely, and it is going to be much less noisy compared current system. But is is just so hard to think that I need to sell current gfx card and get much slower gfx to get 3D support Confused I like to play Tux Racer sometimes Smile
Tho, probably Tux Racer, and other little 3d games run just nicely on Ati 9200, but.. Darn Razz

--JuhaK--

Trizt
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 10, 2005 - 07:03
Order of the Butterfly
Order of the Butterfly

The ati cards in question starts to be quite cheap, some of the older modles may be difficult to find thise days, so that should just increase your cost with around 50-70 euro, whihc ain't that much IMHO.

Both ATi and nVidia has been talking a little about making drivers for Linux/PPC, but there haven't been any real action in doing so. ATi has a limited staff, so I don't think they will release one, nVidia has the staff needed to support Linux/PPC, but they are those who are most secret about what they do. So if I was you and go myself a Pegasos2, I would still keep the nVidia card.
There is a small opensource graphics card project, the aim is to make a graphics card where all data is open for everyone and that the driver sources would be opensource too, but the cost for the card is difficult to predict today and the same how long it would be to make it. The card won't be as good as ATi or nVidia cards, but would be fully supported in Linux/PPC.

Good luck with your decision on your next computer.

gunne
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 10, 2005 - 10:22
Order of the Pegasos
Order of the Pegasos

Guest:

Yes, I understand !

I think you will feel the Pegasos II G4 is fast and quick and responsive to use, at least that what I feel most people say.

And you can use 3D as well.

And in addition to Linux/PPC you will also get the nice MorphOS to play around with Smile

This site runs on a Pegasos btw.

All the best !

Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 13, 2005 - 15:39

Aw, looks like I am not getting Pegasos II, Apple came and won my hearth with Mac Mini. Thanks anyway dudes.

-JuhaK-

TCD
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 26, 2005 - 13:02
Just looking around

If you want mac mini, it's your choice but look: you can install MacOSX on Pegassos2 too Wink. So you can play with MorphOS, Linux and MacOSX via emulation on the same platform Wink

kozz
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 26, 2005 - 16:07
Butterfly
Butterfly

Actually, you do not emulate MacOSX Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
mejde
12 Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 26, 2005 - 23:13

dholm wrote:
You won't get good 3D support on Linux/PPC because there are no commercial drivers. There is a good driver for Radeon cards (up to 9200) but it isn't even close to FireGL or nVidia.

I've read somewhere, I think it was in an Ubuntu forum some months back, that the open source drivers aren't that bad compared to fglrx. If my memory serves me correctly it was something like ~500 fps with fglrx and ~700 fps with the open source ones when running glxgears (not that good of a test, I know) on a radeon 9200SE. The 2d support in fglrx is also supposed to be slower (at least according to... some page in the Xorg wiki... oh, go find it yourself, I should be sleeping by now Sad )

Don't know how accurate that info. is or if it's a completely different ballgame to run the open source drivers on PPC instead of x86. I'll have the opportunity to test for myself in a couple of weeks, maybe less... on x86 that is Wink

DRI will work on r300 and up in X11R6.9 and X11R7.0. Though I don't know how good the driver is.

ZzzZZZzzZzzzz

(He, just noticed that this thread was started more than nine months ago... oh well)

dholm
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 27, 2005 - 06:06
Order of the Butterfly
Order of the Butterfly

That's just vertex-throughput though. The main disadvantages are the lack of support for hardware-supported extensions in the open source driver, and of course, support for newer chipsets.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number 
kozz
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 27, 2005 - 09:42
Butterfly
Butterfly

With the same graphics card, "ATI Technologies Inc RV280 [Radeon 9200]" i get about 550 fps on my Pegasos while I get about 2000 fps on a x86 with fglrx in glxgears. And I tell you, playing for example neverball with the highest settings for all options it is really smooth and playable with fglrx while it is unplayable on the Pegasos with the same settings. And everthing with exactly the same card.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
mejde
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 27, 2005 - 10:05

kozz: Ok. And how does the open source driver perform on the same computer you use fglrx on?

dholm: glxgears is a sucky test, I know Smile

Jump to: