www.pegasos.org :: View topic - Linux vs MorphOS (was: Ubuntu black screen)
http://www.ggsdata.se
Home   News   Forum   Gallery   
Search 
Login

New User? Sign Up!

Navigation

Currently no members online:)

You are an anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here
There are 1 unlogged users online !

Latest Web Links

Latest Downloads

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
dholm
Post subject: Linux vs MorphOS (was: Ubuntu black screen)  PostPosted: Jan 07, 2006 - 15:39
Order of the Butterfly
Order of the Butterfly

Quote:
Yes, loading times is many times a lot slower in Linux then in MorphOS and in AmigaOS too.

Is that because they are using secret Amiga algorithms that noone else in the world is able to duplicate or because the applications have 1/10th of the features you expect to find in modern desktop software? Makes you wonder doesn't it. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by dholm on Jan 09, 2006 - 11:37; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number 
Reply with quote Back to top
gunne
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 07, 2006 - 16:11
Order of the Pegasos
Order of the Pegasos

dholm,

No, it doesn't makes me wonder. Smile

And if you have question regarding a particular piece of software for either MorphOS or AmigaOS, I think the best you can do is to direct the question to the developer of the particular software piece you do wonder about.

All the best !

Trizt
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 07, 2006 - 17:43
Order of the Butterfly
Order of the Butterfly

dholm wrote:
Quote:
Yes, loading times is many times a lot slower in Linux then in MorphOS and in AmigaOS too.

Is that because they are using secret Amiga algorithms that noone else in the world is able to duplicate or because the applications have 1/10th of the features you expect to find in modern desktop software? Makes you wonder doesn't it. Rolling Eyes

I always thought there was some secret CPU opration that only worked in MorphOS that made it so much faster and use so much less memory... but now I start to think it's that algorithm Lol2

gunne
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 07, 2006 - 18:13
Order of the Pegasos
Order of the Pegasos

Hello,

You are of course free to wonder why Smile

I'm only happy that MorphOS is such a quick and responsive operating system. Its structure is also very logical, which make it a pleasure to use.

dholm
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 07, 2006 - 19:06
Order of the Butterfly
Order of the Butterfly

Gunne, keep the MorphOS discussions for the MorphOS forum please. This thread is about Ubuntu and the forum is about Linux and *BSD.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number 
gunne
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 08, 2006 - 00:16
Order of the Pegasos
Order of the Pegasos

dholm,

Yes, sorry !

I will try to keep myself more organized. But, please also try to remember my attempt was to answer on posts before, from FrankB also. Smile

And please also remember, I do really like Linux systems. As I said above different systems and software for different purposes is my own thinking.

And I do also think we all holds our own favourites.

dholm
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 08, 2006 - 10:10
Order of the Butterfly
Order of the Butterfly

If you are really interested in that discussion maybe you could start a new thread about it?

FrankB
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 08, 2006 - 20:04

@Dholm

Yeah, may be, but then why the whole system ( even open and move window, the menues.. ) feels a lot slower, and not only when loading/working with appz?

Anyway, dont take me wrong, I dont have anything against linux. Its just another, new for me, option.

Thanks to all for the hints! Very Happy

dholm
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 08, 2006 - 20:29
Order of the Butterfly
Order of the Butterfly

Because it adds a lot of overhead. In most modern GUI systems today (most notably KDE and GNOME) you have events linked to almost all actions. When you move a window etc a signal is sent to everyone listening for those events. That is just one detail, there are other things affecting it as well such as translucency (COMPOSITE) etc.

In MorphOS you do not have features like being able to listen to others events in a uniform way. The GUI backend is still very simple compared to other systems.

Someone that is better into these things might be able to provide you with a more in depth analysis though.

mejde
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 08, 2006 - 22:21

There's also a big difference between perceived performance and actual performance. The composite extension (and stuff like double buffering etc) can actually help reduce the rendering artifacts on the screen and thus make the perceived performance greater even though it in reality is slower.

The only reason I butt in is because dholm talked about COMPOSITE and Keith Packard (X guru) posted about this on the xorg mailing list today so it's fresh in my head. Wink

"We learned this from Mac OS X which was initially distributed with all
rendering entirely software based, and with which objective performance
measurements showed to be one of the slowest drawing environments in
existance. However, because the entire display was artifact-free, due in
large measure to the composited window system architecture, users
perceptions were of a high-performance and responsive system."

Whole post here: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2006-January/012047.html

Also, many of the performance bottlenecks in GNOME and KDE today are I/O-bound (like for instance loading many small files from disk, causing unnecessary disk seeks). See e.g. http://www.gnome.org/~lcolitti/gnome-startup/analysis/ .

But, like some other people here before me, I digress... Smile

gunne
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 08, 2006 - 22:25
Order of the Pegasos
Order of the Pegasos

FrankB,

Hopefully You will find this combination (being able to take full benefit in both Linux (Ubuntu) and MorphOS) a very good and useful combination.

dholm
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 09, 2006 - 07:41
Order of the Butterfly
Order of the Butterfly

Another important factor in MorphOS is the lack of memory protection. By not having memory protection you gain huge benefits in context switches and you do not need to invalidate the translation lookaside buffers. On the other hand, MorphOS wouldn't survive a day as a mainstream OS without memory protection. Que viruses, worms and friends.

gunne
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 09, 2006 - 09:19
Order of the Pegasos
Order of the Pegasos

dholm,

Is it ok to write about MorphOS in this Linux-thread now ? Evil or Very Mad

dholm
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 09, 2006 - 09:48
Order of the Butterfly
Order of the Butterfly

Yes, the thread originator asked about it which makes it on topic. Is forum netiquette really that foreign to you gunne?

The person who starts a thread controls the content, if they decide to take the thread off-topic it is really up to them to make that decision. If it turns out to be an interesting fork that spawns a lot of discussion it is up to the forum moderator(s) to split the topic if that is a suitable cause of action.
What is generally not seen as ok is going into someone elses thread and starting to post off topic discussion as that ruins the original flow of discussion and the intent of the original post.

gunne
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 09, 2006 - 10:44
Order of the Pegasos
Order of the Pegasos

dholm,

No, it was just that You above asked me for moving the MorphOS discussions to the MorphOS forum. Anyway, before going more deeply into OS structures, and to more low level issues in the operating systems itself, I would like to give a more overall brief about what probably many people notices, especially if they have had some Amiga experience.

I would like to point to this article:

The Zen of Amiga

Please take a look, and consider a while around the table at the middle of the page where he writes: Let's see how other Operating Systems' Zen compares to AmigaOS:

Pasted here also:

There is not many likely articles to find which includes MorphOS yet, because its still a quite young operating system, but it also clearly have 'roots' from the Amiga, and they are very close to each other, why this also 'can' be considered appliceable also for a MorphOS system.

I guess this Zens, (Ease of use, Power, Complexity, Performance, Efficiency, Development), is what people will notice when they will be sitting in front of their Amiga and/or MorphOS systems.

But, now back to work, coming back later. Smile

Jump to: