Login

New User? Sign Up!

Navigation

Currently no members online:)

You are an anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here
There are 1 unlogged users online !

Latest Web Links

Latest Downloads

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Trizt
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Ambient compile  PostPosted: Jan 25, 2006 - 17:55
Order of the Butterfly
Order of the Butterfly

@ironfist
I know, but IMHO you gave the impression you didn't have any flash at all, which was the reason to my reply.

gunne wrote:
Do you believe that a small developer team like the MorphOS development team, or the Ambient team, will create such public estimations (or bigger, better ?) likely as Microsoft do, taking into consideration Microsoft being one of the biggest companies in the software and operating system industry and consisting of payed workers that work with the product of Microsoft Corporation, while the Ambient team and the MorphOS Team consist of people who work with their things in their sparetime and also release what they created for free (without charge) for the community.

The Ambient team shows their activity with the changes in the public accesseble CVS and your compiled binary packages. Ralph hasn't shown any activity for quite long time, not a word if he is still working on the kernel or not, there is no public CVS or weekly binary to get. Do you see a difference between Ambient team and Ralph?
I'm quite sure ChaoZer will make an announcement when the time gets close to a first stable Ambient release and maybe even have a public RC before the stable is out, nothing you can expect from Ralph.

Reply with quote Back to top
ironfist
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Ambient compile  PostPosted: Jan 25, 2006 - 18:31
Order of the Pegasos
Order of the Pegasos

I had flash before and it crashed Mozilla so easy when logging on to
say Aftonbladet and therefore I removed it.

kozz
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Ambient compile  PostPosted: Jan 25, 2006 - 18:54
Butterfly
Butterfly

@robjoh

I don't know exaclty which programs you want to use or are using at the machines at Chalmers. Me myself are currenctly using Mathematica for a course I read, and Mathematica are unforntunately not available for PowerPC, the same goes for MatLab. Well, things might have changed, but I don't think they are available.

But all other application, like OpenOffice, Firefox, Eclipse, java/c/c++, version control system like svn/cvs etc works good. Or well, Java 5.0 is currently beta for PowerPC but it works, and you always have the stable Java 1.4.

Don't think you need Flash, wmv and better 3D than the open source drivers can provide for your studies anyway, I don't. The problem are just Mathematica and MatLab, but you can run them via X-forwarding from school Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
Trizt
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Ambient compile  PostPosted: Jan 25, 2006 - 18:57
Order of the Butterfly
Order of the Butterfly

ironfist wrote:
I had flash before and it crashed Mozilla so easy when logging on to
say Aftonbladet and therefore I removed it.

Thats for you used gplflash and not gplflash2, the first one you get from portage and the later one you get from the gplflash2 CVS.

ironfist
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Ambient compile  PostPosted: Jan 25, 2006 - 19:17
Order of the Pegasos
Order of the Pegasos

Trizt: Wasn't it gplflash2 that doesn't show any movies? Or which was that?

kozz
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Ambient compile  PostPosted: Jan 25, 2006 - 19:22
Butterfly
Butterfly

Or Gnash

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
Trizt
Post subject: Re: Questions about Linux on Pegasos  PostPosted: Jan 25, 2006 - 20:07
Order of the Butterfly
Order of the Butterfly

ironfist wrote:
Trizt: Wasn't it gplflash2 that doesn't show any movies? Or which was that?

I would have to come back on that matter, as soon as I have compiled it for my Sparc, as I can't at this moment have it installed on my Pegasos, as no much need of it on a server.

Last edited by Trizt on Jan 26, 2006 - 06:00; edited 1 time in total

gunne
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Ambient compile  PostPosted: Jan 25, 2006 - 20:25
Order of the Pegasos
Order of the Pegasos

Trizt,

Yes, I see difference. And Im also with you in many points.

What the Ambient team have showed is really nice. Things have been formed together, they are a small, good and a very talent team. I think perhaps even David Gerber might be pleased (if he do have a look sometime), in whats happening with his former work, even that I guess he not might like every detail Smile

Here is also little more, free spoken things...

As I said before, I believe the MorphOS Team (including Ralph Schmidt (hey Ralph Smile) have everything to gain to be more open with the community (I do not mean open source, hopefully dholm also can see the difference in this Smile hey dholm). The community is the resource for MorphOS, they who develop for it and they who develop it, they who use it.

If they will get a financial sponsor, this would of course also change things again. But my guess here also is, that the MorphOS Team is careful, especially concidering what happened after that a former sponsor (the sponsor) stopped sponsoring. I of course also know that what happened, did happen because of reasons.

And the MorphOS Team did show during the last year, by the releases they created, that they are back on track after the hassle that were before, and during a time.

Anyway, enough of idle talk... my last post in this thread.

Have a good evening !

robjoh
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Ambient compile  PostPosted: Jan 26, 2006 - 09:29
Journeyman
Journeyman

Location: Göteborg, hem för världens bästa fotbolls lag: GAIS
@Kozz

Well it would be a plus to be able to use mathematica or matlab, but actuly I hadn't planed to buy the Peg before I am done at chalmers anyway. Which would be the end of this year, I don't have the money for the moment.

@Gunne

Yepp it would be nice with some updates about what is happening.

What I meant by spread over internet is that you have to download the SDK, the 3D update and before this you need an TCP stack which for a non-old Amigan might be hard.

gunne
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Ambient compile  PostPosted: Jan 26, 2006 - 09:59
Order of the Pegasos
Order of the Pegasos

robjoh,

It does happening a lot all the times.

And what's happening is software for MorphOS, and also good progress in Ambient, as I believe you have seen.

At least for me this is whats to see.

If you purchase a Pegasos from GGS-Data, you will get a good software packet included. If you prefer to go for yourself instead you need to get it together by yourself.

Later on when MorphUP have been developed further, and also becoming wider used, it will probably be easier to find things. Aminet, MorphZone, MorphOS-news, Pegasos.org and other websites is also your friend.

dholm
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Ambient compile  PostPosted: Jan 26, 2006 - 14:21
Order of the Butterfly
Order of the Butterfly

@robjoh:
Version 4 of Mathematica was available on Linux/PPC but from version 5 and beyond they have dropped it. I e-mailed them about this and the future seems bleak at the moment.

Luckily we still have applications like R and GNU Octave.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number 
Trizt
Post subject: RE: Questions about Linux on Pegasos  PostPosted: Jan 26, 2006 - 14:41
Order of the Butterfly
Order of the Butterfly

dholm wrote:
Version 4 of Mathematica was available on Linux/PPC but from version 5 and beyond they have dropped it. I e-mailed them about this and the future seems bleak at the moment.

So what great reason did they give for dropping PPC support?

dholm
Post subject: RE: Questions about Linux on Pegasos  PostPosted: Jan 26, 2006 - 14:55
Order of the Butterfly
Order of the Butterfly

I didn't ask for a reason. Lack of revenue?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number 
robjoh
Post subject: RE: Questions about Linux on Pegasos  PostPosted: Jan 27, 2006 - 11:09
Journeyman
Journeyman

Location: Göteborg, hem för världens bästa fotbolls lag: GAIS
@dholm

lucky me that I have mathematica 4.2 then...

@all
Does it exist any nice open source CAD programms, I am a mechanical engineer (or I try to become one) so I like play around in such software to design things like 2 stroke engines etc which never will be produced Smile

Trizt
Post subject: RE: Questions about Linux on Pegasos  PostPosted: Jan 27, 2006 - 11:26
Order of the Butterfly
Order of the Butterfly

I guess VariCAD would be the best option, but you can take a look at freshmeat.net for CAD programs.

Jump to: