Login

New User? Sign Up!

Navigation

Currently no members online:)

You are an anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here
There are 1 unlogged users online !

Latest Web Links

Latest Downloads

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JohnFante
9 Post subject: Reinstall problem BLANDT MEGET ANDET  PostPosted: Oct 24, 2006 - 18:06
Journeyman
Journeyman

Ok. Dette er ved at MEGET pinligt (mycke pinsamt). Embarassed

Jeg fik fat i den seneste udgave af MUI4. Dette hjalp dog ikke på mit Modeedit problem fra min sidste post Sad

Så tænkte jeg, at jeg ville geninstallere (man har vel kørt Windows)

Jeg puttede derfor MorphOS cd'en i og forsøgte at boote op gennem firmwaren.

Da jeg forsøgte at følge cd boot instruktionerne i ThePegasosBook ville den ikke boote fra cd'en. Fik en fejl i stil med unable til load / boot from cd.

Når jeg skrev ls /pci/ide/cd fik jeg at vide, at det bibiliotek kunne den ikke finde.

Det eneste jeg får der minder om pci, når jeg skriver ls er pci@80000000 og pci@C0000000 langt nede på listen.

Jeg har sat min HD på ide1 og cd på ide2.

I desperation skrev jeg så bare boot. Dette gjorde at den bootede fra cd'en.

Jeg troede alt var i orden (ikke særlig smart!!!) og formaterede min System partition for at kunne få geninstalleret.

Da jeg havde formateret System partitionen prøvede jeg at lave en HD install på partitionen men fik nu en fejl om at mit RAM var i stykker (meget underligt, da det netop er købt hos Vesalia til systemet - Undskyld Gunne).

Jeg havde dog heller ikke lavet en seperat partition til boot.img. DUMT!!

Da jeg rebootede kom den ikke længere end til ok i firmwaren og jeg kan nu ikke engang boote fra CD'en.

Kort sagt: I am in a world of SHIT! Bbonk

Jeg har nu behov for hjælp til at kunne boote fra cd'en.

Beklager hvis jeg stiller dumme spørgsmål og tager meget på plads på forumet.

Reply with quote Back to top
gunne
Post subject: Re: Reinstall problem BLANDT MEGET ANDET  PostPosted: Oct 24, 2006 - 18:38
Order of the Pegasos
Order of the Pegasos

Du kan fråga Vesalia om de vill hjälpa dig.

Det är lite svårt att förstå varje nyans i vad du skriver när du skriver på danska. Kanske lättare om du skriver på engelska ?

JohnFante
Post subject: Re: Reinstall problem BLANDT MEGET ANDET  PostPosted: Oct 25, 2006 - 04:38
Journeyman
Journeyman

Ok. Smile No problem.

I found the latest version of MUI4 beta (to solve my modeedit problem from the last post) but that did'nt help.

Therefore I decided to reinstall.

I inserted the CD and tried to boot from the CD from the ok promt in Openfirmware using the commands explained in ThePegasosBook.

Theese commands dos'nt work for me !?!

When I try to type ls /pci/ide/cd I get an error saying the the location dos'nt work.

Then I tried to boot /pci/ide/cd boot.img (and boot.img;1) I get the same error.

When I just type ls. The only thing I get that says something with pci is pci@80000000 og pci@C0000000 in the bottom of a list.

My HD is on the ide1 channel and the cd on ide2.

Eventually I got the system to boot from CD using the "boot" command (nothing more). There I thought things where ok and formatted the Systems partition (stupid me). I tried to reinstall but 1: did'nt make an partition for my boot.img file and 2: got an error saying my RAM is was broken (it is'nt).

A reboot after I now have a system that I can't get to boot from CD!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the long post. I am completely new with Pegasos (and Openfirmware in particular).

gunne
Post subject: Re: Reinstall problem BLANDT MEGET ANDET  PostPosted: Oct 25, 2006 - 08:40
Order of the Pegasos
Order of the Pegasos

JohnFante,

JohnFante wrote:

When I try to type ls /pci/ide/cd I get an error saying the the location dos'nt work.

You get that message because the command doesn't work, as the message tells Smile

Use this command:

boot cd boot.img

And it will load the boot.img from the MorphOS BootCD as well as load MorphOS from the same CD.

If You just type:

boot

And Your firmware settings is pointing to a partition on a harddrive containing a MorphOS boot.img and the settings also is pointing to this boot.img this boot.img will be loaded. If You do have a MorphOS BootCD in the CD-drive, MorphOS will load from that CD. If no MorphOS BootCD is present in the CD-drive, MorphOS will load from a partition on a harddrive which is set as boot and having the highest boot-priority (if You might have several partitions set to boot and containing a MorphOS system).

About MUI4 beta, this is needed if You use nightly build of Ambient.

I also made a Ambient-guide (in swedish language) which You can find in the download section on this website.

JohnFante
Post subject: Re: Reinstall problem BLANDT MEGET ANDET  PostPosted: Oct 25, 2006 - 18:42
Journeyman
Journeyman

Hi Gunne! Thanks for all the help!

I used the command and succesfully booted on the CD

I then made a new bootimg partition and a DH0 partiion in the beginning of the HD. Bootimg cycle 2-18 and DH0 cycle 19 to 1700 and something.

I have presered my old work partition and the linux partitions at the end of the disk.

I installed MorphOS and rebooted thinking that the bootimg is on partition 0 (it is the first on the disk).

But no. now it seems like bootimg is on partition 3 on the disk.

And when I try to boot from it it says that the partition is in an unsupported file format. I have used the correct FFS system.

I am a bit confused here. How can the bi0 partition in the beginning of the disk suddenly be partition number 3 and how can I change it back?

I would be sad to have to make a lowlewel format.....

PS: Besides that it seems that the RAM i got from Vesalia has an error. Maby I should have ordered my system acros Öresund!!!! Wink

gunne
Post subject: Re: Reinstall problem BLANDT MEGET ANDET  PostPosted: Oct 26, 2006 - 10:50
Order of the Pegasos
Order of the Pegasos

JohnFante,

Sure, everything is always better on the other side of Öresund, then on the other side agree

Might be that the ram works best in Germany, who knows ?

Anyway, Sascha or Guido at Vesalia could join here, dont know where they are.

Ok, back on topic.

In firmware: If you type:

ls hd

You will list the partitions on the first harddrive in the system. If you then will get output that tells: <RDB> partition, everything is in order. If You recieve output that tells: <DOS> partition You have a dos-label on the disk, which not is so good.

Still in firmware: If You type:

ls hd:0

You will list information on the first partition on the first harddrive

ls hd:1

list the second partition and so you can continue...

Pressing F9 will give You better resolution in firmware.

You do not need to use a special partition for the boot.img. You can just have it on the MorphOS system-partition. The thing is You need to give the right string in firmware that points to the right partition and to the file. It was only with Pegasos 1 it was a need for having a special pattition for the boot.img as the firmware with Pegasos 1 only can read info from partitions created with FFS and DOS 16. With Pegasos 2 You can read info from partitions created with FFS, SFS, PFS, EXT2, EXT3, DOS. RDB disklabel is still to prefer, at least with MorphOS.

Please just check so You from firmware can read the content of a partition created with either FFS or SFS from MorphOS. Then boot the MorphOS BootCD. check with scsiconfig that the flags for the partition of Your choice is set to boot + mount for that partition, then format the partition from the Ambient menu. After this just copy the content from MorphOS BootCD to this partition. Open a shell and type:

copy cd0: dhx: all

(x = number of the partition to copy to).

Reboot and You should be able to load boot.img from this partiton in firmware and MorphOS will load as well.

Its very easy.

JohnFante
Post subject: Re: Reinstall problem BLANDT MEGET ANDET  PostPosted: Oct 26, 2006 - 18:14
Journeyman
Journeyman

Tack so mycke!

Thank you very much!

Everything works like a charm Smile

gunne
Post subject: Re: Reinstall problem BLANDT MEGET ANDET  PostPosted: Oct 26, 2006 - 18:18
Order of the Pegasos
Order of the Pegasos

Nice, Im happy for you !

Please enjoy MorphOS Smile

Jump to: