www.pegasos.org :: View topic - Peg2 irq sharing cause network unstability?
http://www.ggsdata.se
Home   News   Forum   Gallery   
Search 
Login

New User? Sign Up!

Navigation

Currently no members online:)

You are an anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here
There are 1 unlogged users online !

Latest Web Links

Latest Downloads

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
gunne
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 07, 2006 - 21:52
Order of the Pegasos
Order of the Pegasos

dholm,

Yes, I have very high respect for Your knowledge base around Linux and Linux mattters, and You know that as well Smile

Let me try this way...

The open nature of Linux is its strength and can perhaps also in the same time be its weakness. Anyone can practically do what they want with Linux on their own machines, and adapt it to nearly whatever. Anyone can also contribute to Linux, and in this way share improvements and adaptations they made with other people and also with Linux itself. This is one of its strengths.

It is also possible to make the machine malfunction.

People behind Linux-distributions put a lot of effort into testing, and into making the complete distribution to become a stable and good environment to use and work with. Different distributions have their flavours and characteristics, and if You choose Debian, Gentoo, Suse, Ubuntu or which You prefer the people behind work hard with it as their profession.

There is a lot of people around in the world that uses Pegasos in their profession with Linux.

And remember also, we are a family here, so please be kind Smile

To christianwn again.

My question to you above, is just straight, nothing else Smile Im just curios about Your reason to compile Your own kernel.

Finally about phpBB quoting:

No, I do not know about any fault with it. Please let me/us know if You have found any fault, so we can have a look on it. Thanks in advance !

Reply with quote Back to top
christianwn
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 07, 2006 - 23:57

>May I ask for what reason You do compile kernels ?

I use gentoo, therefore I compile. I use gentoo because the way you can customize your system + speed... I have prior been using freebsd and are used to the ports collection.

>Besides, there are a lot of options in the kernel which will actually impact your system in a noticeable way. No distribution could supply binaries to tend to all variations of configuration. You should know this considering you claim to be selling Linux systems.

I know of meny things that can affect the system via the kernel, I have research all info I could find on internet, I have compiled I think over 70 kernels to try to solve the problem. I have tried using only safe gcc flags also. But saing this, dosen't mean that I can't have misconfigured something...

I have tried yellodog linux, an got the same low speed there also.

>ChristianWn: Why do you have VIA686A on IRQ9? AFAIK
the Pegasos southbridge is VIA82x?

Help me understand this. How can you select proper southbridge in kernel? I have only selected support for the hardware on the peg2 that has options in make menuconfig. The only place in the kernel I can findVIA82x is the ATA device/driver support and it is checked like this [*]. If I exclude this option, the system does not start (kernel boots, but the rest stops).

>I don't think it is an IRQ issue, all pegs are setup in the same way and they work Do you get the same speed with an other computer and the same cables etc?

I have used a new laptop with winxp installed, files where transfered fast and stabile. I have a "video pc (win98)" and it is streaming the files nice.
(The server is a highly optimized freebsd server with 4 hdd's in raid5 with a raid controller.)

Is the mainboard malfunctioning? A bad board? I can put out kernel files, make files, etc on my webserver, if it helps anyone? NFS is much worse than cifs/smbfs.

Thank you to you all
Christian

Trizt
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 08, 2006 - 04:32
Order of the Butterfly
Order of the Butterfly

Here are the VIA specific options that you may want to have in your kernel, much you can just leave unsupported expect the IDE.

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_VIA82CXXX=y
Disable generic IDE support, as that slows down the speed on the harddrive, in my case around 5Mb/s locally on the pegasos (have around the same result on x86 machines too).
I do use the following IO-scheduel:
CONFIG_IOSCHED_DEADLINE=y
CONFIG_DEFAULT_DEADLINE=y

You want to enable DMA in the kernel
CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y

CONFIG_VIA_RHINE=m
CONFIG_VIA_RHINE_MMIO=y

Thats what you need for the 100mbit nic

CONFIG_SND_VIA82XX=m
Only needed if you would want to use the onboard sound, as you have EMU10K1, then you most likely want to disable this completly.

CONFIG_SND_VIA82XX_MODEM=m
This is the modem support, but we don't have access to it by default, so there aren't any need to compile this support at all.

If you use preempt, then enable SMP support, don't think the preempt-UP is completly fixed for PPC (dholm, if you know if it been fixed then please tell us).

gunne
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 08, 2006 - 09:08
Order of the Pegasos
Order of the Pegasos

christianwn,

Ok.

My suggestion to You is to remove all PCI-cards from your computer, and then boot up a live cd, for instance mupper, and try the network-speed You then get using the onboard-plugs.

ironfist
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 08, 2006 - 17:24
Order of the Pegasos
Order of the Pegasos

Christian: That's why I wonder why you have VIA686 on
IRQ 9.. PCI IDE-card?

christianwn
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 08, 2006 - 19:46

>Christian: That's why I wonder why you have VIA686 on
IRQ 9.. PCI IDE-card?

After some checking, I found that it is the onboard soundcard(VIA).
I am using 3 soundcards.

Regards
Christian

gunne
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 11, 2006 - 22:24
Order of the Pegasos
Order of the Pegasos

christianwn,

You are welcome to tell if You get low transfer speed if You are trying with a clean install, like a live cd, and with additional card removed.

christianwn
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 16, 2006 - 09:48

Sorry I haven't replayed for some days, I have been ill.

What I have tried is disableing the onboard via sound card, I have put a smbfs mount option in fstab, I have compiled the nic's as modules in the kernel.

The result and conclusion is:

I get for the first time a stable 4,4 Mbyte/sec transfer using 30-50% of cpu, with the smbfs mount.

Using cifs I still get 1 Mbyte/sec, using 80-100% of cpu.

When I get a little bit better I'm going to try mupper and see what transfer speed and cpu usage I get.

I can not understand what is happening, but I works.

Thank you so far everybody, you have been a great help. Now I can use my network connection.

A big thank you.

Christian

judas
23 Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 28, 2006 - 22:42

As I found out in lots of tests, the problem of instability due to irq shareing is stil a problem.

Here*s my setup:

In a PEG2<>PEG2 configuration, I send by gigabit link lots of data. Receiving and sending is done by netcat. The receiver just calculates a checksum , no wrinting to disk.

Here`s my result with kernel 2.6.18:
The mv634_ethxx driver crashed on 35Mb/s receiving rate after 10s. Using the skge-driver (dlink 530T card) the kernel spits out lots of warning about bad hw cksums.
Note: If rate drops below 20Mb/s, crashes are less often.

Now I changed to the latest stable kernel, 2.6.19:
Receiving with the mv634_eth doesnt work, BUT the kernel prints messages about the atkbd.c receiving an unexpected ACK from keyboard !!!

I think, IRQ sharing all devices on IRQ 9 is a very bad thing on the PEG2, as common 386-systems use all IRQs first, before sharing starts ... most drivers are not aware of this sharing .
One more example might be to plug an usb2.0-card (via) chipset into PCI. This makes mupper, niktarix, gentoo lock on booting. Suse and MorphOS still boot without problems.

Guess what IRQ is used ?

Trizt
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 29, 2006 - 07:32
Order of the Butterfly
Order of the Butterfly

For me the onboard audio has cuased me most problems, "disable" it without including drivers for it solves a lot of problems.

Of the onboard devices, it's the Marvell Gigabit network thats the only one thats not on IRQ9.

Jump to: